“But I’m a girl and girls don’t lift weights”
Weight training is SO important and so many girls shy away from it. There is this “weight lifting phobia” that if you even lift up a weight you will look like a man. That is totally not true. There are so many benefits to lifting weights, and no one said you have to life 50 pound dumbbells to get a good workout in. I usually stick to 10-15 pound dumbbells for free weights and that is perfect for me!
Just doing cardio isn’t a good, full body workout. Yes, you might loose weight, but you will be “squishy” forever. You need to TONE UP as well! Lifting weights (even just 5 pound dumbbells) will improve your muscle mass. Having more muscle BURNS FAT FASTER even while you are just sitting in class. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Simple as that.
I’m not saying all us ladies should look like the next Hulk Hogan. All I am saying is that a little arm definition is not a bad thing!
Here are some of my favorite arm workouts
- Free weight Bicep Curl (10 pounds; 10 reps, 3 sets)
- Free weight Overhead press (12.5 pounds; 15 reps, 3 sets)
- Free weight side rows (arm dipping straight up your side) (12.5 pounds; 15 reps, 3 sets)
- Free weight Rows (slight lunge position, arm “rowing” across body to a diagonal) (12.5 pounds; 15 reps, 3 sets)
- Free weights Triceps Kickbacks, alternating (12.5 pounds; 10 reps each arm, 3 sets)
That’s it for now! Time to actually tone it up and not shy away from one some of the BEST things at the gym… FREE WEIGHTS
Don’t be intimidated by the guys either. Yes, they may look at you, but honestly who cares? Do you care more about what guys think or about your healthy body, keeping your body strong, preventing osteoporosis, and so many more benefits from lifting weights?! The answer is clear to me; you decide.